Which is the right pump shotgun for you? Nothing is more American than a Pump-Action Shotgun. Known for their dependability and economic price, pump-actions have become popular in everything from trap shooting to home defense and make a great first shotgun. Our top-ten comparison details the ten best pump-actions on the market today.
|Product Name||Remington 870 Wingmaster||Benelli Nova||Browning BPS||Remington 870 Express||Mossberg 500||Ithaca 37||Winchester SXP|
|Barrel Length||25″ – 30″||14″ – 28″||20″ – 30″||18″ – 28″||24″ – 28″||18.5″ – 30″||18″ – 28″|
|Overall Length||45.5″ – 50.5″||44.2″ – 49.5″||40.75″ – 50.75″||46.5″ – 48.5″||43.75″ – 48.5″||45″ – 47.6″||38.5″ – 48.5″|
|Weight||6lb – 7.25lb||6.4lb – 8lb||7lb – 8.3lb||6.25lb – 7.5lb||7.5lb||6.1lb – 7.6lb||6.25lb – 6.875lb|
|10 GA||N/A||N/A||26″, 28″||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|12 GA||26″, 28″, 30″||14″, 18.5″, 24″, 26″, 28″||22″,24″, 26″, 28″, 30″||18″, 18.5″, 20″, 25.5″, 26″,28″||N/A||18.5″, 20″, 26″, 28″, 30″||18″, 26″, 28″|
|16 GA||N/A||N/A||24″, 26″, 28″||N/A||N/A||26″, 28″, 30″||N/A|
|20 GA||26″, 28″||24″, 26″||20″, 22″, 24″, 26″, 28″||18.5″, 26″, 28″||N/A||18.5″, 26″, 28″, 30″||N/A|
|28 GA||25″||N/A||24″, 26″, 28″||N/A||N/A||26″, 28″||N/A|
|.410||25″||N/A||24″, 26″, 28″||N/A||N/A||26″, 28″||N/A|
|Review||Read Review||Read Review||Read Review||Read Review||Read Review||Read Review||Read Review|
|Weatherby PA-08||Maverick 88||Harrington & Richardson Pump|
Our comprehensive analysis is the culmination of information collected from real-time usage of the guns, interviews of owners and users of the firearms, general ratings and common reviews of online users, and compiled manufacturer data. Important to note that all the models and manufacturers in the top ten are excellent devices and you should keep that firmly in mind when making your decision. Just because a gun receives a two-star rating for a particular feature, does not mean that it is in some way represents a failure. It is, in fact, simply a better way to demonstrate something average versus something truly superior in a given class. Also of note is the fact that we were lucky enough to shoot and use each of the pump-action shotguns in this comparison. Its far too easy to pull reviews off of an internet consensus, but we know some shotgunning purists and experts in the field who helped us along in determining what is best for the everyone. Our above rankings take into account
- Ergonomics – How does the gun feel in the hands, mounted, and shooting?
- Durability – How strong the gun feels and will it take a pounding over the long term?
- Reliability – Will the gun shoot every time, feed properly, and stay under control?
- Accuracy – How well does it hit the target?
- Disassembly – How easy is take-down for cleaning or replacing parts?
- Fit and finish – How is the look and craftsmanship?
- Available Accessories – How much you can alter the gun with additional parts? We ranked these firearms not only fairly, but with the intent and purpose of giving the best impressions that the average shooter could benefit from.